End Credits

Reviews of films, both new and old.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Steep Hill & Umbrella

So the first "scene" we shot involved a fairly steep hill and an umbrella. My sister's house sits on a ridge that becomes this steep hill, so that makes it very convenient. What makes it a bit inconvenient is that it is, in fact, and steep hill, and lugging all the equipment up and down, not to mention getting ourselves up and down makes it a bit of a pain in the ass. But I'm the insane director person, and that's what I wanted, so that's what we did. I did have some reservations about it, mostly because I was concerned about the camera falling over and crashing into the dirt (there goes my deductible!), but luckily my peeps are experienced enough to make sure that doesn't happen.


I think this is going to be a beautiful shot, and it's actually one of my favorites. We shot it at an increased frame rate (50 frames per second, I think) so when I edit it will be slow motion and pretty cool-looking. We also shot it on a funky stock that makes the colors pop (particularly reds), so it will look super cool.

Unfortunately, this shot took forever, mostly because setting up on a steep hill takes a certain amount of care and preparation, but also because the sun kept going in and out of the clouds, which means that Ryan has to re-meter the light to make sure we shoot at the correct exposure. Anyway, that's a lot of mumbo jumbo talk for weather issues. Still, I think it's going to look beautiful, and I'm hoping there's at least one person out there who can name the artist whose painting inspired this shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home